Saturday & Sunday, April 18-19, 2015
University of St. Thomas — Schulze Auditorium, Minneapolis, MN
with keynote speaker Timothy Gangwer — Register Today!
Timothy Gangwer, M.A. — Saturday April 18, 2015 Keynote: Visual Literacy and the Soundtrack to Our Lives
Changing perspectives changes lives. As a pioneer in the field of visual literacy and a multi-award winning songwriter, Timothy Gangwer travels throughout the world delivering his message of creative expression to awaken the creative spirit that dwells within each of us. He teaches us that humans are hard-wired for learning and what we learn is not nearly as important as how we learn. Timothy often observes the all-too-familiar educational budgetary axe falling on fine arts, yet he firmly believes that fine arts are clearly the pivot point of all instruction. His message is simple, “By opening our eyes and ears, we open our minds. When our perceptions begin to change, so too does our ability to change the world.” Maestro Arturo Toscanini couldn’t describe what he wanted from his orchestra, so he tossed his silk handkerchief into the air. After its gradual, graceful decent to the ground, he said, “There…play it like that.”
Timothy has served as Visual Literacy Consultant to the Ministry of Education in Paris, France; Ministry of Education, Toranomon, Japan; Mediteranean Association of International Schools, Casablanca, Morocco, Association of International Schools in Africa, Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire; and as trainer for the United States Department of Education’s National Diffusion Network. He is the cofounder and executive director of the Visual Teaching Alliance. His newest book, Visual Impact, Visual Teaching is in its second edition and he is also the author of From Both Sides of the Desk: The Best Teacher I Never Had, American Holidaze and many other books as well. In addition to his ten musical CD’s, Timothy is also a celebrated digital artist, photographer and painter.
Contact Information & Summary
- Taught 10 years in the Houston Independent School District
- University Supervisor, University of Texas, Austin
- Certified National Diffusion Network Trainer, U.S. Department of Education
- Texas Association of Gifted & Talented approved trainer in the areas of the Nature and Needs of G/T Learners; Creativity and Instructional Strategies and; the Differentiated Curriculum.
- Trained over 200,000 educators since 1986
- Author of Visual Impact, Visual Teaching: Using Images to Strengthen Learning – From Both Sides of the Desk: The Best Teacher I Never Had – American Holidaze, and coauthor of 7 books and numerous articles
- Coauthor of English Works in America – EL Civics & ESL: Visual Communication Tools for Teachers
- National/International keynote speaker
- Former Visual Literacy Consultant to the Ministry of Education, Paris, France; Ministry of Education, Toranomon, Japan; Mediterranean Association of International Schools, Casablanca, Morocco; and the Association of International Schools in Africa, Abidjan, Ivory Coast
- Served 3-year term on the Executive Board of Directors of the program: IMPACT II – The Teachers Network
- Integral member of the “Global Classroom”
- Team member of the “Children’s Media Workshop”
- 9-time award-winning songwriter with 10 published musical CDs
- 3-time award-winning digital imagery artist, with published works in galleries, magazines and billboards
- Cover artist for the Association of Texas Professional Educators “ATPE News” magazine